San Juan BOCES is dedicated to the education of gifted students: those whose abilities, talents, and potential for accomplishment are so exceptional or developmentally advanced that they require special provisions to meet their educational programming needs. Gifted Coordinators in each member district are committed to:
- Increasing understanding of characteristics of gifted students, including those from diverse populations.
- Promoting equitable access to appropriate identification practices, programming in strength areas, and social-emotional supports.
- Providing services and advocacy for all gifted students.
The Exceptional Children's Educational Act (ECEA) defines "gifted" children as:
Those persons between the ages of four and twenty-one whose aptitude or competence in abilities, talents, and potential for accomplishment in one or more domains are so exceptional or developmentally advanced that they require special provisions to meet their educational programming needs. Gifted children are hereafter referred to as gifted students. Children under five who are gifted may also be provided with early childhood special educational services. Gifted students include gifted students with disabilities (i.e. twice exceptional) and students with exceptional abilities or potential from all socio-economic, ethnic, and cultural populations. Gifted students are capable of high performance, exceptional production, or exceptional learning behavior by virtue of any or a combination of these areas of giftedness:
- General or specific intellectual ability
- Specific academic aptitude
- Creative or productive thinking
- Leadership abilities
- Visual arts, performing arts, musical or psychomotor abilities 12.01(16)
Nisia Patalan: SJBOCES Gifted Education Coordinator & Gifted Education Regional Consultant
Bayfield Middle School: Molly Morningstar [email protected]
Bayfield High School: Brian Sleevi [email protected]
Ignacio Middle School: Anil Chopra [email protected]
Ignacio High School: Bethany Bieth [email protected]
Dolores County (Dove Creek): Opal Croke [email protected]
Mancos Secondary: John Marchino [email protected]
2021-2022 Gifted Network Calendar