All gifted students will accomplish challenging post secondary workforce goals and become productive, creative citizens capable of succeeding in their area of strength.
San Juan BOCES is dedicated to the education of gifted students: those whose abilities, talents, and potential for accomplishment are so exceptional or developmentally advanced that they require special provisions to meet their educational programming needs.
- Communicate and provide information to increase understanding of characteristics of gifted students and gifted education.
- Promote equity of access and implementation of appropriate programming, curriculum models, social-emotional and career guidance support.
- Provide support, service and advocacy regarding effective practices and research findings.
Those persons between the ages of four and twenty-one whose aptitude or competence in abilities, talents, and potential for accomplishment in one or more domains are so exceptional or developmentally advanced that they require special provisions to meet their educational programming needs. Gifted children are hereafter referred to as gifted students. Children under five who are gifted may also be provided with early childhood special educational services. Gifted students include gifted students with disabilities (i.e. twice exceptional) and students with exceptional abilities or potential from all socio-economic, ethnic, and cultural populations. Gifted students are capable of high performance, exceptional production, or exceptional learning behavior by virtue of any or a combination of these areas of giftedness:
- General or specific intellectual ability
- Specific academic aptitude
- Creative or productive thinking
- Leadership abilities
- Visual arts, performing arts, musical or psychomotor abilities 12.01(16)
State Gifted Education Website: www.cde.state.co.us/gt
Deb Nielsen – SJBOCES Gifted Education Coordinator
District/School Contact List:
Colorado Gifted Education Review:
Evaluation and Accountability:
- know about your giftedness.
- learn something new everyday.
- be passionate about your talent area without apologies.
- have an identity beyond your talent area.
- feel good about your accomplishments.
- make mistakes.
- seek guidance in the development of your talent.
- have multiple peer groups and a variety of friends.
- choose which of your talent areas you wish to pursue.
- not to be gifted at everything.