All gifted students will accomplish challenging post secondary workforce goals and become productive, creative citizens capable of succeeding in their area of strength.
San Juan BOCES is dedicated to the education of gifted students: those whose abilities, talents, and potential for accomplishment are so exceptional or developmentally advanced that they require special provisions to meet their educational programming needs.
- Communicate and provide information to increase understanding of characteristics of gifted students and gifted education.
- Promote equity of access and implementation of appropriate programming, curriculum models, social-emotional and career guidance support.
- Provide support, service and advocacy regarding effective practices and research findings.
Gifted students (K-12) are capable of high performance, exceptional production, or exceptional learning behavior by virtue of any or a combination of these areas of giftedness:
- General or specific intellectual ability
- Specific academic aptitude
- Creative or productive thinking
- Leadership abilities
- Visual arts, performing arts, musical or psychomotor abilities
Gifted students include students with disabilities (i.e. twice exceptional) and students with exceptional abilities or potential from all socioeconomic and ethnic cultural populations
State Gifted Education Website: www.cde.state.co.us/gt
Deb Nielsen – SJBOCES Gifted Education Coordinator
District/School Contact List:
Colorado Gifted Education Review:
Evaluation and Accountability: